Women grieve, men replace.And so here I am, once again pondering the idea of replacing.
I don't know where I heard that, but it's an interesting idea. Probably posited by a woman trying to denigrate men, but whatever. I'm not here to argue whether or not it's true. I just want to talk about the idea of "replacing."
I'm looking for a replacement for K. Some people might say I'm not ready yet. That I should take some time to grieve and get over her. I should work on myself and find my own identity. Sounds great, only it's not how I work. I've spent plenty of time being single. I've had nothing but time to grieve. I know who I am. I've built so much character I have it coming out the wazoo. And I've tried like a motherfucker the past year, during this long-distance relationship, to cultivate a fabulous single life of my own, but it still flounders. It just doesn't work for me. I need a partner.
I can't speak for all men, but I know for me, the best way to get over K is to find someone new. Someone to create new associations with. Find someone else to colonize my brain, my heart, and my penis.
If it sounds callous to say I want to replace K, remember: she dumped me. I wanted to be with her indefinitely. She was my ideal. I adored her madly, stupidly, wholly, but she said I wasn't enough for her. So I'm moving on.
Which reminds me of the whole issue of the post-breakup dating scramble, where the person who starts dating someone else after a breakup wins. When K and I get back in touch next year, I desperately want to be able to tell her that I'm dating someone. Not to make her jealous, but to prove that I've moved on. And I don't want to just show that I've moved on, I want to have moved on.
On the other hand, I will be devastated if she's dating someone and I'm not. In fact, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to be friends with her if that's the case. It's petty, I know, but I'm not that strong.
*****
SnarkEx appears to be stirring up shit again. She'd moved to California earlier this year so she could be with her new boyfriend, Skeezgeek. But the Sunday before Thanksgiving she showed up at her old church (where my brother and sister-in-law go) because she was in town with Skeezgeek for the holiday. During church "sharing time" she stood up to announce that things were "progressing" with her boyfriend. What was the purpose of that? "Sharing time" is usually so people can ask for prayers for their dying mother or a sick neighbor, or for blessings for their son who's getting married. Who the fuck "shares" that they're having a good time doing disgusting things with their troll of a boyfriend? It really seems like she was trying to rub it in.
Any other time I would have just brushed this off. But I found out about it on Thanksgiving, three weeks after K had dumped me. I was already sensitive having to deal with the holidays as a single person, and the fact that I'd just lost the best woman I'd ever loved, and now I had to hear how happy my ex was? It was too much for me to take and I had a short crying fit.
Don't get me wrong. I don't miss SnarkEx and I truly believe I'm better off without her. It's just that this isn't how things are supposed to be. She's supposed to be miserable for flaking out and leaving our marriage. She's supposed to pay a karmic debt for being so fickle and insensitive and completely unapologetic about how she dealt with her early-life crisis. Instead, she's flaunting how great her life is around people she knows are close to me.
That was the last crying fit I've had.
*****
I wonder how long I'll have to wait until I find another girlfriend. There are people who have no problem jumping from relationship to relationship, but I've always been a slow operator. Dating is a volume business, and I need to suffer a string of rejections before I find someone new.
The quickest turnaround time I've ever had between relationships was four months. (That happened twice, right before I met SnarkEx and K, respectively. They also happened to be my two biggest loves. Coincidence?) The longest dry spell was two and a half years. The average is about a year, or about 1/2 the length of the relationship. So I guess I can expect that I'll be dating someone new within the next year or two.
Since I'm a statistics geek, here are my relationship-time stats. Since my first serious relationship 15 years ago, I've spent 110 months in a relationship and 63 months single. (Approximately.) That means I've had a girlfriend/wife 63% of the time. Not a bad run.
There's no question that I will eventually find someone new. I've proven I can do that.
The questions are: how, when, and will I have to I settle for less than K?

10 comments:
Whenever you find someone else, good Lord, don't tell them about this blog.
I'd be fit to be tied if I found out someone was "settling" for me!
Even when you are in the throes of overthinking (not in a bad way!), you always find a way to make me laugh at the way you say something in your posts. "dating is a volume business" - LOL. Kinda true though. As for dating, I would say don't overthink it but I know I would too. Just take it a day at a time and I am betting you'll be surprised at what crosses your path. As for SnarEx? Well, she sucks. (hey, I'm slaphappy today, it's Friday!)
Good point, Sarah, and one that I've made here before. I worry that if anyone I were dating found this blog, they'd discover my year-long love letter to K.
However, the actual goal is NOT to settle. To find someone who is as great as K, maybe even greater. Obviously, this post is not about any specific future mate, so no one could point to it and say I settled for them.
Glad I could make you laugh, Jo. SnarkEx does suck! That made me laugh. It's funny because it's true.
Oh Snarkex definitely deserves a smack, I agree. I find it particularly offensive that from your descriptions of her she seems completely clueless about the true meaning of religion. She sounds extremely self-centered.
That nonsense aside, I am intrigued by your distinction between men and women. I do NOT want to find a Jaime replacement and I DON'T think that finding someone new will get me over him. So, you gave me much food for thought. I want you to be happy and do what's right for you, but if I were you, I would take more time to grieve anyway. Although, I see no harm in chatting women up and putting yourself out there and being more open, women such as Mystery Library Girl and Co-Op girl.
Enjoy the weekend.
I kind of felt like some kind of celebrity had stopped by my blog when I read your comment, FYI.
If you wondered (and I know you did), my vote is for Mystery Library Girl.
I must be like a guy then. I usually seek to replace immediately. I don't think anything's wrong with that. It always helped me to focus on something other than heartbreak in the past. It also made me feel better about myself after being so replaceable to someone else. That's why this dating hiatus is such a goddamn fucking struggle. Sorry, is my frustration coming out?
I personally think that finding a new relationship will be best for you. From reading your entire blog, you are happiest when your focus is on someone else. Nothing wrong with that. And hey, the next girl will be a lucky one!
That story about SnarkEx made me laugh with derision. Talk about a girl who needs attention! In my head I took "progressing" to mean that they are now having sex. Okay, that may not be true, but it makes for a funny scenario when she's announcing it during church!
I love your 'relationship stats'! That is such a great idea. I'm going to do it, too!
Good luck with it all!
You are a stats guy. Very analytical, yes. Just be careful that the analysis doesn't keep you from stumbling over someone lovely, and unexpected that may end up being quite perfect for now or...forever.
Rooting for you. Big hugs!
if she is announcing "progressing" then I'm thinking things aren't really "progressing" LOL who announces things are "progressing" you announce engagements!
Post a Comment