So yesterday I was out running errands, and since I was nowhere in the neighborhood, I decided to drive across town and stop by the Co-Op. Maybe they had some organic chocolate bars I could buy as stocking stuffers or something. I didn't expect to see Co-Op Girl, since she wasn't there last Sunday and I just assumed that she had skipped town for the holidays.
I drove past and didn't see her at the cash register through the big front window, and so I turned my car around in the parking lot to head home. But as I drove past the front window on my way out, I saw her! It was only the back of her head, but I'd know that lovely back anywhere. So I parked nervously and walked in.
Unlike last time, I had no plan. I'd still like to ask her out, but I'm trying to figure out how to do it more spontaneously. If I try to script out everything, I get too nervous and weird. So I'll just continue with our 3-minute conversations at the checkout until an opening arises.
I told her I was looking for some last-minute gift ideas, and she gave me some suggestions until the manager overheard us and took over, showing me all around the store and giving me way more information than I really wanted. I couldn't just say, "Um, what I really want is a date with your cashier." So I patiently listened to her whole spiel.
I picked out a few things-- a painted metal water bottle, some really good chocolate, and some organic hot cocoa powder. In all I spent $32 just so that I could have another 3-minute conversation with a girl I know hardly nothing about. I did find out that she's not traveling over the holidays because she's from Snarktown, and that she studied in California. If I hadn't been under such an infatuation-induced brain freeze, I might have asked her what she studied or how she's spending her time over the holidays, but I didn't.
I left the store and as I walked out to my car, I saw a cop putting a ticket on it. WTF? This is free parking! I've parked here hundreds of times and never had a problem. The officer informed me that my plates were expired.
I looked at the sticker on my license plate. Expiration November, 2009. Well, fuck me! How did that happen? I then remembered that they usually mail me my renewal forms, but I moved in July of last year. They probably sent them to my old address. I've been driving on an expired license plate for over a year! Sonofobitch! The ticket for the expired plate was $25. So now the price tag on my spontaneous encounter with CO Girl was up to $57.
So this morning I had to set the alarm to get up good and early to go to the DMV, so I could renew my plates. (I couldn't do it online anymore because they had been expired for so long.) That cost about $100, plus $10 to stop by the mechanic to put on the new plates because I am a girlyman and couldn't get the old screws off with the tools I had at home.
So, as a result of following my penis into the Co-Op to see a cute girl, I've had to spend $167. Granted, some of it was stuff I really needed, like renewing my plates. But man, does my penis get me into some expensive encounters.
*****
One reason I didn't ask CO Girl out was because there was much bustle and activity in the store, with other employees and shoppers all around us. There was no way to be discreet. Three other people would have witnessed my awkward attempt to make a move. Is there any way around this?
I guess I could stalk the store until she's alone at the checkout. Or hand her a note that says, "I like you. Do you like me? (please check box) Yes/No."
Any suggestions from my brilliant and experienced readers? How do I ask out someone in front of her co-workers, while at the same time keeping it breezy and spontaneous?
Peace At Any Price
1 year ago

8 comments:
Wow!! You had an expired sticker that long?! That's hysterical! Sucks to have to drop that cash now right around the holidays, but at least you are getting it taken care of, right? Good luck with co-op girl! I have no advice, I am failing you my bloggy friend. I think your approach is just fine!
Wow, I can't believe that you had an expired registration that long! In CT (I was married to a cop, so I unfortunately know this stuff) if you let a registration lapse for that long, you don't just get a ticket, your car will most likely be towed away. Glad that didn't happen to you, and you were able to take care of it, although the expense of that one day sucks!
As for asking out Co-Op girl, I can definitely see why you would not want to do that in front of an audience. I don't really have any sage advice, except maybe, be willing to be brave on the spur of the moment if you catch her alone one of these days. But in the meantime, keep chatting her up, she might get the hint and be prepared then.
I have had an expired *sticker* that long, but the registration was actually paid. I just never found the time to unscrew the plates to put the new sticker on.
What you need is a bit of confidence. Do what us girls do: get yourself looking all hot. Then stop by that mirror and think, "damn! I look good!" Then go out and with your nicest, most-confident smile, say something witty and funny--some question that she has to answer. You're actually set up good for it now because you know she went to school in CA. Use that, and think of something charming to ask about it. Do you know the area? Say something about that. In n Out burger is a big CA thing that people who have visited and transplants love to fondly recall.
And I think your nervousness about her is adorable! Don't be afraid to let that peek out from under your confident cloak!
This post cracked me up. Following your penis is expensive! Ha ha ha!
Ok, say this with me: "Hey, do you drink coffee? Wanna go have some when you get off work?"
See? That's not so hard. And pffft, even if she doesn't drink coffee, I'm sure she drinks something!
Now make a move before I fly up there and announce to the whole store, "He likes her and wants to ask her out. Is that OKAY with everybody?!?"
;)
I'm with T...don't make it a big deal.
Or...you could lead into it by asking her if she knows of any places to get a good cup of organic coffee...and then ask her if she'd like to join you there for one. ;-)
It's really tough to ask out someone that has such a high public profile. That's to all the ladies giving advice. It's much easier being the recipient.
Even if she politely says 'No' in some way, shape or form, it's an establishment that you frequent a lot, so going back and facing her (and possibly every other employee she works with) would be daunting.
But, on the other hand, I do see see the merit of a 'the public be damned' attitude: “You know, you're always so nice to me when I come in here. In the spirit of giving at Christmas, let me pay back some of that kindness with a cup of eggnog coffee at Starbucks – my treat.” Even in front of others who may be in line it doesn't smack of a typically penis-driven formulated line. No pressure, innocent at best and if she says 'No', it wasn't as if you embarrassed yourself asking specifically for a date – you just wanted to repay her kindness in the spirit of Christmas.
Backup plan: you could purchase a Starbucks $10 gift card in advance, present it to her (speaking again of the spirit of giving at Christmas) and write your number inside along with a brief message and your number.
Hey, as long as your penis cost you $167, what's another $10?
Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Actually, I thought it would be a real hassle, but it was surprisingly quick and painless to get a new license plate. And now I no longer have the personalized plate that I got when SnarkEx moved out and indirectly reminds me of her.
Thanks for all the advice about CO Girl, everyone.
Welcome, muchtoofar, and I actually had thought about a variant of your idea, to maybe get her a card or chocolate and attach a note asking her out. I'll mull it all over.
Haha! I laughed out loud at T's comment. That girl knows her shit. I won't say too much as I think there are follow-up posts to read by this point.
Post a Comment