I'll never forget the sentence a friend of mine uttered to me in high school when he wanted to tell me (gently) to stop pursuing a cute blue-eyed blond soccer player named Erica.
"Snark, It's time to close the Erica file."
(This was after she read the love note I'd written her, looked me up in the yearbook-- because she didn't know who I was-- and then laughed at my picture.)
*****
Over the years I've closed dozens of files on women I've pursued. I know how this works.
And it's time to close the file on Co-Op Girl.
She wasn't at the store yesterday when I did my weekly shopping, and since it's been a week since our last awkward conversation, where she said she'd email me but has been really busy, it's time for me to accept the only possible conclusion. She's just not into me.
Oh, I could continue to rationalize and do mental gymnastics to figure out how it's possible she's still interested but really has been busy. But it's been four weeks. There's a principle in science that says the simplest explanation is the most likely. She's not interested.
I still don't know what happened that last time we talked. Why she bothered to approach me at all, just to tell me that she would email me, and then didn't. Maybe I just seemed too aloof and she figured I'd lost interest. Maybe she expected me to ask her out in person and was giving me that opportunity and I blew it. Whatever. She's a decent human being and wanted to acknowledge the card and chocolate I gave her, but otherwise doesn't know how to reject me. It's fine. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable.
I actually had planned to push the issue one last time when I went shopping yesterday. Only she wasn't there. Whenever I'm prepared so act, she's not there. Whenever I'm unprepared, she is.
As I drove away from the Co-Op yesterday, I decided it's time. Time to do the online dating thing. Since I also closed the file on Mystery Girl last month, for the moment my "organic" dating possibilities are no more.
*****
If I can ever find the time to put up a profile, I'll start online dating.
I've been super busy the past week, and this week will be the same. I had a busy social weekend. It seems that all my friends who I hadn't seen much the past six months wanted to see me last week. Then I hosted an impromptu NFL playoffs party at my house Sunday afternoon. Those were the good times.
But between all of that I had some down moments and crappy moods. I found myself with a few unexpected hours of downtime Saturday and tried to work on my book, but I was uninspired. At times I felt that special kind of loneliness you get when you miss sex with your ex. Hornliness?
This week I'm overwhelmed with work. I'm hitting the "busy season", spending 12-hour days doing the thing I like least about my job.
*****
So I don't know when I'll have time to craft my online dating profile. I'm afraid to start online dating, anyway, because just like real life, there will be much rejection. I'll have to respond to five profiles to get one response, and that won't go anywhere.
And most of the profiles will be boring, anyway. I thought they were boring before I met K, and she just raised the bar even higher. It's hard for me to imagine how I'm going to describe what I'm looking for. Do I just list all the qualities that made K so great?
I doubt I'll ever meet someone like her on a dating site.
Peace At Any Price
1 year ago

10 comments:
Start yourself a profile without publishing it, and add to it a little at a time until it is just right.
You know what I really wanted to do? I wanted to be able to read the competition, but you can't browse the girls' profiles unless you say you're a dude and make a profile for research purposes. In addition to being a PITA, it also makes you feel like a real weirdo! LOL!
Anyway, just start a profile, and take your time crafting it. I think I worked on mine for about 18 months during the fall of my marriage before I actually published it.
Oh boy, do I hear you on the closing the file thing. We are both at that point. I have several files closing. I do think that at a certain point the "he/she is just not that into you" reality kicks in. As for the online dating thing, I'm thinking of quitting it for now. You may not find anyone like K, but then again Misty and Jolene have found good people so I know it's possible. In my case, it's just a matter of "do I want to go through all this hassle."
Who knows? I know a few very cool people who met their spouses online. Go for it!
The thing about online dating is you get out of it roughly the same proportion you put into it.
I think one really needs to go into it with a completely open mind. Sure, you will get rejected. It's really not that big of a deal. In fact, you will do some rejecting yourself. It's completely natural.
Just don't force anything because you feel you need to get out there. And don't try to hard to impress in order to make yourself stand out. Be yourself. Yourself is more than enough.
Close the file, but maybe leave it peeking out of the cabinet a bit? Right now for some reason, I feel pretty invested in your love life. I want you to find someone so much. Try to have a positive attitude about online dating. I have honestly had success, but I hear it's worse pickings for the guys than the girls. I also know where you live...and where I am it's obviously so much easier to find people. I'm not sure what it would be like to online date in Snarktown. I wish you luck. :-)
I agree with Divorced Guy (though I know you have done the online thing before)...and never say never about meeting a good one online (okay, I may be a bit biased there). I say take the plunge if you are ready and can put some time into it (Marisa and TBHHH will attest to my similar advice to them!) and just see what happens. Which site are you thinking of this go-round?
That's an excellent question, Jolene, and the first one I need to settle before I can even think about creating a profile.
In the past I've used Yahoo, which is where I met SnarkEx and AG. I also met GF #3 on Salon/Onion personals, but the last time I tried that it was really annoying because I couldn't focus my search without subscribing. Match annoyed me for the same reason. For free sites, I liked OKCupid and someone else suggested plentyoffish (which I've never tried.)
Anyway, it's been 1.5 years since I've been to an online dating site, so maybe they've changed. I'll probably lurk on as many as I can, and when there's a profile that appeals to me, I'll get serious about my own profile so I can respond. I doubt it will take 18 months!
Maybe more people are online now and it won't be as frustrating as it's been in the past.
Thanks for the advice & comments, everyone!
I've been on Match for 3 days now. Going pretty well, but I think it's just because I'm fresh pickin's, so to speak. Gotta stay hopeful. Join me in my adventure there! :) SMiNE
"Hornliness". Best. New word. Ever.
Thanks, T! I happen to love that word too, and wondered if anyone would notice it.
Post a Comment