I got an email last week with the subject heading, "Possible Singles Dates." You'll never guess what it was about.
It was a call for people interested in a tennis league, and the possible dates they could play singles (as opposed to doubles.)
I'm not interested in this particular league, so instead the email mocked me with possibilities, singles and dates-- three words that are on my mind a lot lately.
*****
I'm still reluctant to venture into any of the online dating sites yet. For one thing, I've just been super busy and exhausted. Today is the first day all week I don't have any class visits-- the most stressful and important part of my job-- so it's nice to relax a little. But now I'm faced with all the other stuff that's been piling up on my desk all week.
I haven't visited many of my favorite websites in forever. I'm way behind on The Onion and Dealbreaker and the Oatmeal, and my advice columns, Savage Love and Dear Prudence. And LOLcats? Fuggedaboutit! I haven't canhazcheeseburgered in months.
Part of the issue is that my blogging community is growing. Which is great. For the first two years of this blog I hardly had any blogfriends, but in the past few months I've added more and more blogs to my daily reading. I now have 14 blogs on my blogroll. I love having this sense of community-- following the lives of a diverse group of people from around the world, and having people follow mine-- but it's eating up more and more of my work and free time. I love my bloglife, but I want to have a real life too. Not sure how to reconcile that.
(Blogfriends: Even if I don't respond, I do appreciate every comment I get, and I do read all of your own blog posts, even if I'm not always inspired to post a comment. And I know from Blogger's stats that lots of people are reading this, even if you don't comment. Welcome, lurkers!)
*****
It feels a little odd to be without any dating prospects whatsoever. It's one thing to be single again, but it's a whole different level of singleness to not even have someone I'm thinking about or scheming on.
But I'm still plugging away, making plans and keeping my eyes open. I will try the online thing, eventually, when I get bored and desperate enough. Hey, February is just around the corner, and nothing inspires boredom and desperation like the last full month of winter.
I'm wrestling with some social opportunities this week. Tonight is an event sponsored by the Co-Op that I'm only mildly interested in, but I feel like I should get more involved in their events. It gets me out of the house and around people. But I've already asked three people if they want to go with me, and they either can't go or aren't interested. Sigh. I could go by myself (and probably will), but what if I run into Co-Op Girl and once again look like the desperate guy with no friends? Or more importantly, will I feel that way?
Friday night another local organization is sponsoring a documentary on a cause that K was really into. I'm trying to decide if I should go to it. It's not really a cause that I care that much about (although K did a good job of opening my mind on it), but again, it's a way to get out of the house and maybe meet new people. Maybe if K was into it, I could meet someone else like her. On the other hand, is it pathetic to attend an event only because my ex was really into it? It seems like I'm still letting her influence my choices.
*****
Anyway, it's good to have a little time to breathe and contemplate these things.
Peace At Any Price
1 year ago

8 comments:
I know what feeling mocked is like. I still get emails from all these baby companies. It stings.
As for what do...try new things, but things YOU want to do. Ever thought of looking on MeetUp? I'm a fan.
I second the meetup.com idea. I've met several awesome people that way.
Ya know, when I was in a place where I wasn't pining over anyone nor crushing on anyone else, I felt very liberated. Then BAM! My Gentleman came calling that very same week.
Take care of you. Good stuff will happen.
Love our blogfam! So fun. But I know what you mean, the IRL stuff is useful too, of course ;-) And for the record, the subject line of that email was what I would haev thought too!
#1. The Possible Single Dates subject line made me SO SAD.
#2. Meetup.com is full of The Awesome. I didn't go there for dates, but I found a book club (comprised of several gay men and me) and I consider that a smashing success.
#3. I'm not plugging anything (that's what she said), because I know you come to my blog anyway, but just make sure you're not in an especially small town if you try online dating. Because things like this happen: http://letsgetincharacter.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-with-online-dating.html
I always love when you comment on my blog, but I think we would all understand if you need a break for awhile. Blogging and making all these new friends can be kind of exhausting. I also think it's worth it, but like everything in life, it's all about balance. I know you sometimes go to church. Have you ever thought about trying a new church to meet different people?
Hi, I totally get how the blog is a time investment on multiple levels, and I have not been keeping up so well lately myself, obviously since I'm commenting on this a day late.
But also, I understand what you mean when you say, that being single is different when you have prospects to imagine/fantasize and plot about. When the well dries up, you feel the empty space a little bit more acutely.
I'm not a fan of meetup.com. I joined a few months ago, and the groups emails gave me an icky feeling of being swinging groups. Um. No thanks. But that's just my experience.
As for the bloggy community, I too enjoy keeping track of each other's lives. And when S and I went to Laughlin for new years, I had to check your blog for updates on co-op girl, and I shared your stories with him.
It's good to feel like we belong to an elite crowd :)
I love the sense of community from blogging too. And yeah, I know we don't always get to comment -- it's hard to fit everything in all the time, but that's okay! We're all in the same boat that way too. :)
Post a Comment