Sunday, January 30, 2011

Match-eration

It's official: I'm on Match.com.

I found myself with some leisure time yesterday afternoon, and although I had a lot of projects to work on, I made the mistake of clicking on the Dating link on Yahoo. In the 1.5 years since I've online dated, I guess Yahoo! Personals has merged with Match, because that's where they took me.

Of course, they wouldn't let me view any of the ladies' profiles until I created one of my own, so I spent a frustrating hour or so just throwing shit up there so they would let me in. I had a really hard time coming up with a handle and a headline and a description of myself, because I wasn't prepared to be creative yet, I just wanted to browse some profiles. I threw up a placeholder that said, "I'm not ready to write this yet but Match is forcing me to so I can view profiles. Minimum 200 characters. Minimum 200 characters. Minimum 200 characters. Minimum 200 characters." Once I was able to lurk on the site, I found enough ads to make it worth my while, so then I went back and updated my profile.

At first I was stymied as to what to write, but then this here blog came to the rescue. I remembered a post I wrote about my talents and used that as the basis for my personal description. (Abridged and edited, of course.) I've spent entirely too much time editing and re-writing my profile over the past two days. I haven't even made contact with a woman yet, and online dating is already taking up too much of my time.

So, what have I found? There's about five local profiles that I "favorited", but none of them jump out as the love of my life. On paper they're no K, or SnarkEx or even AG. So I expanded my search geographically to include a few big cities within a three-hour drive. That search was much more promising. I added about 10 more profiles to my Favorites. The ad that appealed to me the most is-- surprise!-- a 28-year-old grad student from a college town about 2.5 hours away from Snarktown. There's also a 31-year-old "Jew-rican" (her word) from Big City, and a 40-year-old therapist from Other Big City. So I'm kinda all over the place. It is kind of exciting to look through profiles and collect them in my Favorites, like putting good-looking treats in your shopping cart. "Oh, she's really cute, and she said something clever! In the Favorites you go!"

To be honest, a long distance relationship about 2-3 hours away really appeals to me. It would be nice to date someone who's not in my town, so I could maintain my independence and it would force us to go slow, but also not 700 miles away like K was. For me, finding the right person is way more important than having them be in my town.

Probably the best prospect from Snarktown is a 44-year-old divorced mother. Her profile doesn't excite me as much as some of the out of town ones, and I worry that she might turn into another AG: someone I would date for four months, then breakup with because it just doesn't feel right, which would then inspire me to just be single for a while. If it's not me getting rejected, it's me doing the rejecting. Why is it so hard for two people to ever want the same thing?

I'm getting way ahead of myself, but this is why I suck at dating. I can't just get to know someone as a human being, I have to think way into the future to figure out if I want to be locked in with them for the rest of my life. And then there's the issue of whether I should approach all these women one at a time, or multiple ones at the same time. That could exhaust me. I'm not a multitasker.

This is all moot. Ninety percent of the women I've "favorited" probably aren't even interested in me.

*****

So this afternoon I got my first "wink." It was the local 44-year-old divorced mother. So maybe the initial interest is mutual. I guess I should send her a message. I described her to a friend, and we figured out that he knows her-- they work out together. Huh. Small world. Or small Snarktown, anyway.

Meanwhile, my busy pace has continued. I've gone out four nights in a row. I've been horribly neglectful of my two writing projects (one long-term and one short-term), which bothers me. My TiVo shows have been piling up. And here I am starting online dating, which takes as much energy as applying for a job.

I haven't even subscribed to the site yet so that I can send messages. That's something I'll do. Just as soon as I finish blogging about it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"On paper they're no K, or SnarkEx or even AG."

I am quoting this because I found it troubling. And I will tell you why.

If you go into the online dating thing comparing those who you see, on paper, to others, you will forever box yourself in, and limit the possibilities in front of you.

So, remove that thought that they are not K, SnarkEx, or AG from your mind. And honestly, it is good they are not.

You also say that you cannot get to know someone as a human being, and I will say, well duh, of course you can't when you are comparing someone in front of you to someone from your past.

Now, I hate to be somewhat brutal and critical, but if you are going to compare any woman to another woman who you are no longer with, then you should not be dating, period. It is not fair to you, and it is not fair to them.

Get to know them for who they are, not who they aren't.

Anonymous said...

Yay Snark! I'm happy that you're putting yourself out there. Be open-minded, but don't settle. I can't wait to hear about your dates. I wish you well!

Jolene said...

I agree with Divorced Guy - that line jumped out at me too for the same reasons. maybe you mention it in passing, but it's an easy (but bad) habit to fall into. I am however, loving that you said you want a relationship that allows you to keep your independence! I think that's huge for you since your posts on love and happiness tying together so closely for you. My observations anyway :) Happy dating!

Single Mom in New England said...

Woo Hooooo! I'm so excited that you have joined me on Match. Now we can share our online dating disasters/adventures together. PS - You HAVE join now, because the ladies will probably only respond if you send them an email -- that's been my limited experience thus far. (And the funnier the email, the better the chance for a response!) I'm so excited!! :)

Unknown said...

Yay for biting the bullet!

Also, I will chime in with The Divorced Guy. . .don't do that! Don't try to find what you already had, because if what you already had is what you're supposed to have, you'd still have it, you know?

One final word of advice. If you do have a conversation with someone you meet on Match, and they ask you three words to describe yourself, do NOT describe yourself as "Hot, Happy, and Horny."

Just don't do it.

snarkbutt said...

Okay, Sarah, how about this: "Hot, Miserable, and Horny"? :)

Thanks for your insight, DG. I've responded to it in my next post.

Be open-minded, but don't settle.

That's a very fine line I'm trying to walk, Misty.

Yeah, Jolene, for all my whining about wanting a mate, my independence is important, too.

SMiNE: I've joined. Let the games begin...

Unknown said...

If you go for "hot, miserable, and horny," you lose the alliteration, and despite the general yuck factor of the entire thing, alliteration is really important.