Sunday, January 2, 2011

All Packed

The Carnival website has a little red box with a countdown to my cruise. Today it says, "You cruise in 0 days."

Considering we still have 26 hours until we depart, I think their math is a little off. But I appreciate their enthusiasm.

I just finished packing. At least, I hope I finished. I still have that nagging feeling that I've forgotten something vital. (Don't worry, I have suntan lotion. Everyone has told me not to forget that, so while I was out shopping the other day I bought two tubes of it (different bottles for different conditions.) When I got home, I discovered I already had two tubes in my closet, so now I have four goddam tubes of suntan lotion. I probably won't use all of that up in the next 5 years.)

Anyway, I'm ready to go and I have a few hours of leisure time before some plans tonight. It feels like the only time during my entire three-week vacation that I have actual leisure time with no errands, projects, or chores hanging over me. So that's kinda nice.

*****

My first day of the new year was not a good one. I stayed home and did weekend chores: cleaning, vacuuming, laundry, bills, nap. I wasn't in a very good mood, maybe because I'd been out to 2:00 am two nights in a row, and since I have trouble sleeping in that makes me grumpy all day. I went the entire day without seeing another human being, although I did have two short phone calls.

I don't know why I'm bothering to write these things out on my blog, but since there's no one primary in my life, I don't have anyone else to tell these things to.

I wasn't excited when I got up this morning. I was worried about my solo vacation. I worry that I'm going to have all these awesome experiences and no one to tell about them. I worry that I'll feel alone and isolated on a boat full of people having fun. I worry about being the wallflower at the orgy (with all due respect to Nora Ephron.)

It could go either way. I could feel that way, but I could also meet lots of people and be the life of the party. I've played both roles in my life, but it really is a crap shoot as to which way it will go.

*****

After packing I'm feeling a little more excited. I checked the weather report and it should be in the 70's and 80's where I'm going. (It's 28 degrees outside my house right now.) So that's exciting.

I'll just try to enjoy getting out of my head, out of my life, and out of my routine for a few days and see what happens.

*****

So, friends, I'll be offline, off the grid, and disconnected for the next week.

Please make sure not to let anything exciting or interesting happen while I'm gone.

12 comments:

Jolene said...

Ahh!! Have a blast!! I obviously know the feeling of the pending travel and worrying about having everything, but once you get on that boat, it'll be smooth sailing (pun intended!). I'm so excited for you!

Shammickite said...

Hi there, I'll be checking back on your blog as I want to know how it went having a holiday on your own. I'm a single too, (somewhat older than you though!) and I'm reluctant to have a solo holiday, don't know how I would feel all on my own.

Anonymous said...

Have fun!!! I can't wait to read all about it.

Momma Sunshine said...

Yay! Have fun! I hope you have a great time...looking forward to hearing all about it. I really admire you for going out there and doing this. :-)

Anonymous said...

Have fun! I'm dying to go on another cruise, so I hope you have a great time. And I'm going to pass on the advice a good friend gave me before my first cruise. She said, "cruises are cheesy, and you have to be willing to embrace the cheese factor. If you go on it thinking you're too cool for school, you won't have fun." So, remember that none of those people know you. Feel free to act like a dork, get up on stage in the shows when they need a volunteer; sing karaoke; get drunk off your ass; do the hairy chest contest--even if you haven't got a single hair!

Have fun, and give us a full report when you get back!

(And if its a Carnival cruise, go to EVERY talk in the show lounge. Hint: they give away free stuff if you're the first person to raise your hand!)

Marisa said...

OMG, have a great time!!!! Can't wait to hear how it was when you get back, and soak up some sunshine for me. :)

said...

So excited for you! Get out there and have some fun for all of us! It's a great start to the new year.

Spencer Park said...

Have fun Mr SB!

Nicki said...

Have a blast. Meet lots of new people. Would you believe one of my patients met her husband on a cruise? She went with her sister.

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful!!
I hope you enjoy every second of it!

Anonymous said...

www.latinintro.com

I think this is the answer to your dreams. Beautiful Colombian women. They changed my life.

snarkbutt said...

Thanks, everyone! Most of these comments I didn't get til I got back, and I'll be posting a full report soon.

Misty: So funny that you said that, because "cheesy" was EXACTLY what I was thinking during much of the cruise. That and "lame." But to my credit I did two of the three things you listed (karoake, drunk, hairy chest) and they were indeed fun.

Full report soon!