Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Names

In the ninth grade I had a crush on two girls at the same time who were both named Amanda.

In my early 20's there was a period of my life when I knew six Jenny/Jennifers. I had a crush on half of them, and dated one of them very briefly. This was before I met the Jenny who I would date for two years.

My clique in grad school included four Amy's. Three of them even had the same middle name, so we had to differentiate them by using their last names.

With that in mind, I've been pretty amazed by the diversity of women's names I've met, friended, corresponded with, dated, pursued, or blogged about since my divorce. With one small exception, none of these names have overlapped. That seems incredible to me.

The list includes Alison, Anita, Ashley, Beth, Breanne, Charize, Desiree, Emma, Emily, Heather, Jackie, Jenna, Jenny, Jolene, Julie, Karen, Kathleen, Kelly, Kim, Lane, Laura, Marisa, Margaret, Melissa, Miranda, Misty, Natalie, Nicki, Nikole, Rachel, Rebecca, Robin, Sabrina, Sarah, Tiffany, Tonya, Vika. That's 36 different names! *

Seriously, how many more names can one man encounter without having any overlap?

When I started this list, I thought there was just one small exception: a new blogfriend shares the name of the First Meeting Lady, who I went on two dates with 2.5 years ago. But since compiling the list I remembered that I think FutureLibrarian (FL) shared the same name as TennisGrrrl. I'm just going from a hazy memory, though, so I'm not 100% sure. And one of my blogfriends also shares a name with someone I've met on two occasions who I friended on Facebook.

So maybe it's not that remarkable after all. But it still feels weird to have all these different names swimming around my email folders, and with online dating I'm adding new ones every day.

*UPDATE: After sleeping on it, I remembered another name, which puts the list at 37. However, the whole "no overlaps" thing kind of falls apart the more I think about it. For some women, like some anonymous blogfriends and Mystery Girl, I don't even know their names. So there could be a lot of overlap that I don't know about. Also, I have cherry picked who I include on this list. I can think of two women I've met since my divorce who are named Samantha, one who I friended on FB, but I didn't put that name on the list. Not sure why. Oh well, it's a fun list, anyway.

6 comments:

Jolene said...

That's quite the list of names. I am glad to be one of them! And I daresay, mine is the most unique, right? ;-)

Marisa said...

Here is the thing, I consider my name unique too, because it is pronounced as if it were Spanish. It is Mar eeeee sa. Rhymes with "Lisa." I have never met anyone else in my life with my same name that pronounced it the same. If you do, let me know, lol.

Anonymous said...

I made the list!

The funny thing is that I have encountered a similar sitch. I dated several Mikes when I was a teen, and my current S shares the name of an S I dated before I met the husband I'm divorcing. And having had an...er...reconnect* with one of my ex's from 1989, that makes the 3 men of 2010 have the same names as the 3 from 1989...go figure.

Anonymous said...

Marisa, I didn't know that! That's so cool. And Snark, were you bored today? Haha! It was an entertaining read though. I dated a Joe, Joey, and Joel. I thought that was funny.

said...

My ex-husband has the most unique name of anyone I've ever dated. As a matter of fact, when I first met him, I immediately fell in love with his name!

I like names too. My current boyfriend has a name that I don't hear too often and for some reason, now I hear it all the time! :)

snarkbutt said...

Yes, BFBF Jolene, your name (& title) is the uniquest.

That's good to know, MarEEEsa. I will have to adjust how I say it in my head when I read your blog.

Misty, when I knew all those Jennys? I also knew tons of Mikes! I used to say I was surrounded by Mikes and Jennys.

No, Thisbroken, not bored. This post has been brewing for days and I had to make time for it. I think it's interesting! Funny about your Joe(y,l). Before SnarkEx met me, she dated an Aaron, Darren, and Eric. I told her to follow the pattern her next bf should be named Derrick.

T, reason #312 why K was so great: I loved her name. Not just her first name but the whole thing. A lot of alliteration and sounds that I like. Sigh.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I've added an update to this post at the bottom.