Thursday, February 24, 2011

Afterthoughts

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and emails about my decision to retire snarkbutt. It is truly gratifying to know that my obsessive little thoughts have had an impact on people.

I know it came as a shock to many people, and I'm sorry for that. I did start having these feelings last November, which I wrote about here:

This blog is becoming a monster that that can't be stopped. It's good to have an outlet like this, but I feel that it's out of balance, too important, and I'm not sure that it ultimately is good for me. It's eating up more and more of my time every day. I overshare and then feel bad about it. I don't know who is reading and there's this weird tension between wanting to stay small & anonymous and wanting to be popular. Having all my naked thoughts out on the blogosphere is like posting anonymous videos of my wang on youtube.

I've had a few days to consider shutting down the blog, and it feels like the right move. For two days now my creative energy hasn't been held hostage by all the things I plan to write here. (This post is actually spontaneous-- I hadn't thought about it until this morning.) It's actually sort of liberating.

I would like to emphasize that this decision is not about one girl (who I haven't even met yet.) She might have been the catalyst, but this is something I've been debating for a while. I think in order to move on with my life, I need to say goodbye to this blog. It keeps me in a frame of mind that's not healthy or balanced. I need to concentrate more on my real life.

This is not an end, but a beginning. I can't express how grateful I've been over the past years for all the new diverse people I've "met" through this blog. Now that the blog is ending, I can take many of those connections to the next level, through Facebook and email and my public blog. I'm not disappearing, just changing my focus.

Some time in the next week I will shut this down. After that I will start contacting or friending or sending links to all of you who have requested it. (Email buttsnark@yahoo.com if you want to be in the loop.)

Thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks for reading. I can't say that enough.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck! Maybe this will curb the overthinking that comes with dating and life. :-) Now you need to post more on FB so I can keep up with your life!

Anonymous said...

I for one will be sorry to see your blog go. I admit reading about your dating experiences and crushes is like a soap opera...all in a good way of course. I only have the best wishes for you to find someone wonderful to spend your life with because you sound like a great guy who deserves someone who can reciprocate all you have to offer. (Intellectuals are HOT!! Just sayin'.)

So wherever your typing fingers take you, I wish you well with it. And I look forward to connecting with you on FB.

Jolene said...

Sniffle. Obviously I hope I am on your list (though I know about your other blog already) and please do stay in touch my BFBF! :-)

Ryan Schoppe said...

I just started reading a few weeks back but have enjoyed your blog. I am sorry to see you go so soon. Good luck in all your future endeavours.

P.S. I also tried online dating for a long time with very little success. Then I was set up with a guy that a friend knew...and here we are, over a year later. She is out there somewhere, waiting for you, going through the same thing you are and wondering where YOU are!

said...

Still really bummed about it. We get so attached, ya know.

Glad we can still be in touch!

Anonymous said...

I do read your posts regularily but don't comment much because I do believe you overthink too much and commenting just gives you more to ponder. I do enjoy reading what is in your head though. I will just have to call you more often to find out what's going on in my little bro's life. That is healthier and more of a two way street anyway. Love ya!

Spencer Park said...

Wow, I've been away so have been out of the loop and didn't expect that.

I hope that things work out well for you Mr SB. I will miss this blog but I do understand the reason for retiring it.

I'll always remember one of your blog posts in which you talked of hosting a gathering of bloggers in the US. At the time I wondered, and hoped, that I would be able to make it!