When I went to bed last night, I was hoping that the rain would make the courts too wet for tennis this morning. I didn't want to have to deal with the decision of whether to play or not, so I hoped the weather would make it for me. That gave me a pretty good indication that I really wasn't in the mood to play. So I planned to just sleep in.
Then I got up this morning, forty-five minutes before practice. I felt well-rested, the air was cool and the sky partly cloudy. It was the best tennis weather I'd seen in months. So I decided I really had to take advantage of it.
I went to practice and got some good exercise. We played longer than I had planned, so it's made my day a little more hectic than I was expecting, but I'm still getting everything done. And it was worth it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This has been a lazy weekend. Despite playing tennis three times (over three days, since I was off Friday), I've spent a lot of time on the couch and playing on the computer.
K is camping at a hippie folk music festival all weekend-- four days off the grid, so we haven't had much contact. She texted me a few times on Friday but then had to turn off her phone to save her batteries. I was a little worried about how she planned to get to the festival. She doesn't have a car, so she was bumming a ride from some guy on the festival online message board. Spending five hours in a car with a stranger from the interwebs would not be my thing. My overactive imagination tells me he'll be a pervert or axe murderer or charming handsome Adonis. But she's been doing this for years without any of that happening, so this is a good opportunity for me to practice letting go. She's a grownup who can take care of herself. I know she's thinking about me.
I've had a good time in her absence. I'm catching up on my TiVo. With all the traveling I'd been doing lately, I was over a month behind on all my shows. I also hadn't watched any Netflix in months. So I got a lot of good couch time. I also moved a bed into my guest room (donated from my brother's wife's sister), which had been vacant since I bought the house a year ago. Went to a dinner party. From there we went to my first theater movie (Inception) since last January (Avatar.) And of course there were the usual weekend chores: lawn mowing, grocery shopping, laundry. (Why does this paragraph sound like a 4th-grade essay titled "What I Did On My Summer Weekend"?)
So that's about it. No great insights this weekend, just a lot of relaxation strategically interrupted by exercise, socialness, and chores.
Peace At Any Price
1 year ago

6 comments:
Sometimes that is EXACTLY what you need! I had that today and loved it! I almost felt guilty for not going outside more (save for a run this AM, and a few errands!) but it was super hot and humid and I had a lot of DVR and blogs to catch up on, so I thoroughly enjoyed it too! Glad you had fun in K's absence, as I daresay that's "new" for you since you have had a few "alone attacks" in the past ;-) awesome!
That's a good point, Jolene. I hadn't thought of that connection. The funny thing is that I've been sending older blog posts to K, and the very last one I sent to her before she left for the festival was the original Alone Attacks one. What a weird coincidence that you just mentioned it!
Wow, how weird is that?! Guess we've been "hanging out" too much "virtually" huh? ;-)
What did you think of Inception? Rascal and I are going to see it later this week.
Sounds like some great downtime. We could all use more of that!
I liked Inception. As my friend said, "That was some crazy shit." Two and a half hours went by really fast. I hope you and Rascal like it, but you have to pay attention. No making out in the back row!
Hmm. Inception. We may have to go see it. So glad to see you holding it together so well while K is off the grid. Good signs. Happy for you!
Post a Comment