I need a dating vacation-- a break from Dimple Girl. I'm letting this take over my life, and I'm not even that sure I'm into her.
So I was actually relieved when she said she was too busy to go out tonight. Since I have so much going on this week (and weekend), I tried to see if she wanted to go out on Tuesday, the last free evening I have this week. I know it was too soon, two days after our last date, but the only reason I suggested it was that it might be the last chance we have to go out for two weeks. She said she was too busy, but to get back to her when I have some weekend time.
For the first time in days I'm relaxed. This is just what I need-- to step back and gain some perspective. I think she put a hex on me when she kissed me the other night, and I need to enjoy my life again. Just for a few days.
My social life has got to the point where I actually have to make tough choices. Last weekend, after I thought DG was really into me, a friend invited me to hang out on Halloween in her new house, hand out candy, and watch movies. I'd been wanting to hang out with this friend for a while, so I was excited about the invite. But I also knew that DG was going to a party that night, and wondered if she might invite me to that. Do I want to miss a potential party/date to hang out with a friend?
I let cliches run my life, so in the end I decided that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." My friend invited me first, so she had first dibs. I couldn't well turn her down in the hopes that DG invite me to a party. It would be a shitty thing to do, and also not very smart. I'm proud of myself that I chose a friend over a potential date. It feels like the right thing to do. Maybe I'm learning stuff after all. New and Improved Single Snarkbutt!
Meanwhile, DG friended me on Facebook yesterday. I was kinda hoping to keep that away from her, since it reveals so much about me. There are links to my public blogs, including the "Snarkology" blog (my own personal "religion.") I worry that she'll think I'm a freak when she sees all this stuff.
But let's put this in perspective. I spend a lot of time cultivating my online presence. It amuses me and most of my friends. I like myself. Do I really want to date someone who is turned off by that? Who I can't amuse?
So we'll see. Dating is a dance. You're both in constant motion, moving forward and backward, advancing and retreating, and it won't work if you can't coordinate your movements. If you both retreat at the same time, you might fall down. If you both advance at the same time, you could crash into each other.
It's time for me to retreat and see if DG is still there when I advance again.
Peace At Any Price
1 year ago

2 comments:
Snarkology blog...I must know more ;-)
Oh yes, I want to know more about the Snarkology blog too!
Post a Comment