There's a movie I remember watching when I was a kid titled Somewhere In Time. Christopher Reeves travels back into the past and falls in love with a woman. Near the end of the movie, while they are deep in the throes of their passionate love affair, he pulls a penny out of his pocket. The penny has a future date stamped on it. Seeing that penny jolts him out of the past, rips him away from his love, and sends him back to his old life in the future.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had a similar "penny" moment this week. I've been in a great mood all week, excited about new plans, new friendships, and new communities. SnarkEx has not been on my mind at all. She's like a whisp of smoke from my past.
On Wednesday night I parked my car near the UU church to attend an orientation session. I parked along a beautiful tree-lined, brick-paved street. This being late October, the street and sidewalk were coated with yellow leaves. The street, the smell of the leaves, and the feel of them under my shoes all brought me back to a moment six years ago.
I met SnarkEx (in person) on October 30, 2003. At the time she was living in this part of town, and I remember us walking down a leaf-covered street to her apartment. It was the same sights and smells that I experienced on Wednesday.
It was probably one of the happiest days of my life. We had met online a month before, and I couldn't believe how lucky I was that she was as awesome in person as she had been through email and phone. It felt like I had finally found the girl for me. I had won the cosmic lottery.
Two years later, we were married. Three years after that, our divorce was final.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As if to reinforce the leaf/penny moment, as I was walking into the church, someone came out who looked a whole lot like our marriage therapist. I had been angry at our therapist because I felt like she didn't do enough to try to keep us together-- to convince SnarkEx that abandoning her marriage was a mistake. Or maybe even to tell her that dating other men while you're married is not the most healthy thing for your marriage. But whatever.
The leaves had just reminded me of the day we met, and now the therapist was reminding me of our breakup. There's probably something poetic in there about cycles & shit, but I'm not really into reflecting on my marriage right now. I'm trying to focus on my fabulous new single life.
Peace At Any Price
1 year ago

3 comments:
You weren't kidding when you said a lot of our milestones were parrallel - I didn't realize you met SnarkEx online...that's how I met my ex as well. And tomorrow is significant for me as well - day all sh%^t broke loose ;-)
So glad to hear you're doing well. That movie "Somewhere in Time" is one of my favourite movies of all time. And how's this for a conincidence? Yesterday I was attending a conference at a hotel in my city when I walked past Jane Seymour in the lobby!! She was in our city to promote her artwork.
That's funny that you know that movie, Maggie. We watched it as a family when I was a kid, and for some reason that scene with the penny always stuck with me. Weird coincidence!
Post a Comment