Sunday, October 25, 2009

Expectations Suck

I'm sitting at my computer at 8:00 on a Sunday night and thinking, "What the fuck just happened? Did I get blown off?"

Picked up Dimple Girl at 6:00. We decided on a restaurant, had a nice dinner and what I thought was good conversation, and at 7:30 I suggest we continue our date somewhere else. She explains that she has a lot of work to do for tomorrow. She tells me all about it-- what she has to get done, and actually asks my advice on a problem she has. We discuss it, but I'm afraid I'm not very helpful and she keeps apologizing for being preoccupied with it.

I take her home. I ask if she wants to "do this again sometime" and she says sure, she'll be online all day tomorrow.

I could parse out our entire conversation, like me finally admitting how old I am, and her being surprised, but not necessarily shocked. ("Did you tell me that the other night? 'Cause I don't remember it.") But if there was a sudden change in her attitude at anything I said, I couldn't pick up on it. Now I'm going over every thing I said tonight and wondering what might have turned her off. There are plenty of candidates.

But the worst part is the high expectations I had for this date. Almost nothing happened like I thought it would. Expectations can suck it.

This is what is not fun about dating. I have absolutely no ability to judge a date on the basis of whether I had fun. A date for me is "fun" if it moves us forward. If afterward I feel more secure and clear about what is going on between us. Why can't I just enjoy getting to know someone and leave it at that?

Update: She did text me a thank-you and apology for having to bail. So maybe she wasn't blowing me off for good. But I still feel like shit.

2 comments:

jolene1079 said...

Clearly, as you know from my posts, I am such a dating overthinker, it's crazy. It's SO hard to enjoy the date itself, half the time, because I wonder if the other person is having fun and likes me, and actually wants to go out again, or if they are "just saying that" - it is all part of the dating game, I guess, but it definitely adds a stress layer that shouldn't be there, ya know?!

Good luck with DG...she seems a little "off" though, so I hope that if it DOES turn into more dates, that she gets more normal...for your sake/sanity! :)

snarkbutt said...

I guess we both have the overthinker's disease!

Yeah, maybe she's a "bit nuts" like her friend described her. But I've dated nuttier.

We'll see. She just friended me on Facebook, so I guess there's no hiding my true nature now. I hope she's prepared for TMI. :)