Saturday, February 21, 2009

Snarkbutt Meditated

Part Five of My Mini-Series: Discussions on Eat, Pray, Love.

Gilbert is now on to India, where she's staying at an ashram and engaging in spiritual pursuits. I thought this part of the book might be a letdown, since she's starting to get into more of the God talk, but it's not.

She's still the same neurotic, insightful, lovable character she's been throughout the book. Even when she's discussing the nuts and bolts of different Buddhist meditative practices, she makes it palatable to a cynic like me.

In fact, she writes about how she struggles with meditation, because she can't turn off her mind. She spends hours arguing with her mind, trying to get out of her head. That's exactly what I struggle with, so she's inspiring me to think about taking up mediation. If I can use it to control my mind better, that would be a wonderful thing.

I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage. I'm really good at thinking about things.

No comments: