A friend of mine asked me the other day: if I could wave a magic wand and make everything better right now, what would that look like?
It's a great question. And the answer is: I don't know.
I wouldn't wish for the wife to move back in with me, because I'm still too hurt, angry, and bitter about her leaving. Frankly, I don't know what us getting back together would look like. It couldn't ever look like it did before, because now I know she's capable of leaving me, something I never thought possible two months ago. So I can't imagine what our future together would even look like.
I can imagine being divorced, but it's not a very appealing picture. It would look a lot like my life when I was single, with the added baggage of a failed marriage behind me. I suppose I could get a little excited about dating again, but then I think I'm too old and too jaded to be successful at that. Plus, I've never been very good at dating. I've never been a playa, so it's not like I'm going to be adding a bunch of notches to my bedpost (as much as that fantasy may temporarily appeal to my walnut-sized male brain.) But if I didn't date or meet someone new, a life alone as the angry librarian-cat-guy is too depressing to even contemplate.
So I'm not wishing for her to come back, and I'm not wishing for a divorce. On the other hand, I'm not happy about this limbo we're in, either. I hate limbo. (Not the game where you try to shimmy under a stick to a Harry Belafonte song, but the state of in-betweenedness.) I want to know where I'm going so I can make preparations for the journey.
I want to get on with my life, but I don't know whether that life includes the wife or not. Or whether I even want that life to include the wife. So I'm at an impasse. The magic wand is useless.
But at least now I can enjoy the "Limbo Song" that writing this post has put into my head. And it's near impossible to feel depressed with that song in your head.
Peace At Any Price
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment