Monday, August 30, 2010

Open Privates

The Web 2.0 has made many of us a weird mix of public and private. For instance, I pour my soul out on this blog, getting more personal than I ever would with many of my family, friends and acquaintances. And even though there are a few people who read this blog who also know me in real life, I'm pathological about staying anonymous and not mixing my blog world with my real world.

There's a very complicated matrix of who knows what about me, so with most interactions I have to think very carefully about what I can reveal to which people. Does X know about my porcelain Twinkie collection? Can I complain to Y about my third buttock? Who might be interested in a story about my cats' pukeballs? Just like individual people, this blog has its own security settings. For example, I would never reveal my kink for cartoon robots here.

There are parts of my life where I'm quite private. At work I'm strangely guarded about my personal life (except for with the guy that I commute with, but I don't work with him.) I guess because I don't really feel close to anyone there. And I like having a clear dividing line between my career and my personal life. It's one reason why I never friend anyone from work on Facebook. I don't need professional colleagues looking at pictures of my cats or my meals. Or my cats' meals.

But those are exceptions. In general, I consider myself a pretty open person. I'm likely to whip out my feelings and personal issues and private stories much sooner than most people. At a party, I'm often the first person to cross the line or say inappropriate things. (I'm not the only one thinking it, though.) In many cases I think my openness draws people to me. I open up to them, so they open up to me. It makes for great conversation and intense friendships.

But also I wonder if this openness turns other people off. Do I make people uncomfortable when I reveal things that they consider too private? Or when I ask them to reciprocate? I can think of several examples in my life when I suspected that people pulled away from me because I violated someone's privacy, even my own. Like put pictures of them up (clothed!) on my website or told a story that involved them. Some people just bristle at the thought that other people might be talking about them. That never bothered me.

The reason I bring this up is that I was at a party this weekend and someone told me that a poem I'd written for K, which I posted on FB, was "corny." It was one of her birthday poems, and both she and I happened to think it was clever and fun. (The only birthday poem that I could publicly show people. The others were private and, um, explicit.) In all modesty, if someone else had written this poem, I think I would be impressed. But I was also a little worried that people would think I was being too public about my love, posting it for everyone to read. (Since it was K's birthday present, I did ask her permission first.) Did I go over the line? Did people think it was weird? I haven't really got much feedback on it, other than the "corny" comment, which makes me think that sharing it with the entire (FB) world was indeed over the line. Is it too much like a public display of affection (PDA)?

At the same party, I wanted to tell another friend about the limerick I wrote for K, but he cut me off. I wasn't going to recite it for him, I just wanted to tell him about one of the lines, since it related to what we were talking about. He kept telling me he didn't want to hear it. That's annoying. It's not like I was trying to show him a rash on my junk or anything.

Even now, telling these stories, I worry that the people I'm writing about would be bothered that I wrote about them. Even though they don't read this blog (that I know about) and there's no way anyone could identify them.

I suppose, just like hobbies and interests and sense of humor, level of openness is just another factor in what makes someone a good friend. People who want to share limericks will find each other.

Incidentally, I think Open Privates would be a great name for a soldier porn movie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a very social weekend. I went out to be among people Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, and Sunday morning. I also had two phone conversations (weekly phone date with K) and, in addition to getting my usual chores done, I cooked. (The only downside was that, because of my knee, I couldn't play tennis. It doesn't seem to be getting any better and I'm worried about how long it's going to keep me off the court.)

If only every weekend could be that full of stuff.

9 comments:

Jolene said...

Agree with you on how disclosive I am on my blog than IRL - especially as I was writing my dad blog series. When I mentioned what was in the protected post to a few friends on Friday, they were floored. If that's any indication! Anyway, glad you had an awesome social weekend! Me too! Love that!

Unknown said...

Facebook's an interesting thing. . .people will tell you what they had for breakfast that morning, who they ate it with, and how long it took said breakfast to get through their digestive system, but if you're mushy or whatever, you end up on stfumarrieds.com.

I mean, personally, I don't care too much about how much anyone loves anyone OR what they had for breakfast. That's what feed blocks are for.

snarkbutt said...

Thanks for introducing me to a new site. stfumarrieds.com has apparently died, and been resurrected as stfucouples.com. Those people are batshit scary. When it's not completely disturbing, it's very funny-- reminds me of failbooking.

For the record, I'm nowhere near that disgusting on FB with K. We're mostly on the down low. We haven't posted our relationship status and rarely post pics of us together, and even then we don't tag them. Aside from the poem, which is about librarians in love and doesn't mention her by name, about the mushiest I get is when I post that I haven't seen her green dot all day. In my defense, since we live so far away from each other, FB is one of our main sources of daily communication.

BTW, I had yogurt & granola with OJ for breakfast and it took 4:17 to digest. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Snark:

I love your blog, probably for all the stuff that you disclose.

In all honesty I find when people disclose too much I tend to avoid them - it makes me uncomfortable. Also I myself rarely put stuff up on FB because I tend to find that the people who do sound...ummm...attention getting?

Hopefully I haven't been too honest here!

Maggie

Spencer Park said...

Snark - your honesty is great. Perhaps your friends are overawed by it!

snarkbutt said...

Thanks for your support, Maggie & Spencer.

Maggie, I appreciate your honesty, and I know a lot of people feel that way about oversharing. I suppose it all depends on where you set the bar. It seems to me the whole point of FB is to get attention, so if that turns you off, FB probably isn't the place for you.

On the other hand, I do know people who overdo it on FB. One friend in particular is always posting about how awesome and hot his girlfriend is, what great things she did for him, and how he has the best gf in the world. Sometimes I think it's charming and sometimes it's incredibly obnoxious, especially when he posts things like, "My gf is better than yours."

I just wonder if other people think I'm obnoxious like I think he is, although I like to think I'm way more discrete than him.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're right about FB and sharing but I really enjoy seeing what my friends and family have been up to in their lives, such as the vacation pics they post, pics of their kids, events they attend - stuff like that. If I add anybody as a friend and I find they post either their opinions or "attention getting" stuff too much, I hide them :)

Twitter is probably one step up in the TMI sharing - that's why I don't have it or do it - for me anyway.

said...

I too am an over-sharer. Which is exactly why I have a second FB profile for work collegues only. :)

And yes, Rascal and I are WAAAYYY mushy on Facebook. Some people love it and some people have to stop themselves from puking.

Whatev.

Be who you are. People will either love it or not. (Advice I need to learn to live by too.)

Nicki said...

I usually follow a few simple rules in blogging. I only share what I'm comfortable with everyone knowing. And I try not to hurt anyone I care about. I don't always get it right. It's the thought that counts?

Don't beat yourself up too much.