Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cancellations

When you live alone, it's usually a good thing when the phone rings. Someone is reaching out to you from the outside world. Unless it's a telemarketer (which always pisses me off) this ringing reminder that someone wants to talk to you can make you happy. It adds to your social activity.

Except for me, today. Today, the phone ringing means a social activity being taken away. My tennis opponent for tomorrow morning just called. He pulled a muscle and can't play. We'll have to reschedule the match we've already rescheduled once before. (Due to rain.) A match we had to wait three weeks to play because he went on vacation. And I'm going on vacation next week, which means we'll have to wait another 10 days. The league officially ended three weeks ago, but stupid bullshit keeps preventing us from playing. The other match I need to play has been postponed four fucking times! Argh!

The worst of it is, I was already worried about my weekend having no social anchors. Now the only scheduled event I had between now (Sat, 2:30 pm) and Monday morning has disappeared. I keep going round and round trying to think of someone to reach out to, but they're either out of town, or told me they were busy, or people who never have time anyway so what's the fucking point? I'm so fucking tired of being turned down.

Today is such a beautiful, gorgeous day and it drives me nuts that I can't enjoy it. I'm too wrapped up in my loneliness.


I am alone. So very alone.

2 comments:

Spencer Park said...

I've been there and I think I will again next weekend. I often find myself spending time in the company of strangers at the local pub. It is surprising how much fun you can have in the company of strangers!

Jolene said...

Ugh. cancelations DO suck especially when you live alone...and tennis is one of those sports where you kinda need a partner, huh? Well, I hope you got to enjoy the day anyway!