Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Only One

(Crushing Depression, The Return: Day Three)

How did Roy Orbison know?



Everyone you know's been through it
You bite the bullet, then you chew it
Tie a knot at the end of your rope
Buy a book to help you cope
But no consolation gonna come
You're the only one

Take a look at history
Recant some bits of poetry
You'll find the words still ring true
Some things don't change
Some things do

And you're the only one with a broken heart
the only one who's afraid of the dark
the only one in a crowded room
the only one who sees the blue moon

What you wouldn't give right now
To be another face in the crowd

And you're the only one who is all alone
the only one whose love is gone
the only one who has given in
the only one who will give again

And you're the only one with a broken heart
the only one who's afraid of the dark
the only one in a crowded room
the only one who sees the blue moon



How did he know, so long ago, that I'd be the only one with a broken heart?

(I rediscovered this song after writing my Mystery Girl post. It reminded me of the old Roy Orbison album that I had on-- get this-- cassette. This song is on that album, and I remembered how much I loved it. Roy sure knew how to sing the blues.)

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Have you heard of the book The Secret? It's all about the law of attraction and how what we put out into the universe is what we get. It sounds silly, but think about it. For months and months you felt that K was going to end things and then she did. You focused on the bad outcome and that's what happened. Maybe try focusing on the positive, envisioning what it is that you want, assuming you will get it and see what happens. I'm a lifelong cynic, but I find some truth in it... Negative begets negative!

Marisa said...

((Hugs))

I had a rough, depressing day today too Snark.

snarkbutt said...

Kristen,

Yes, I have heard of The Secret. Your question reminds me of the Mormons who visited my house yesterday and asked me, "Have you heard of Jesus?"

For months and months I felt like K was going to end things because SHE HERSELF SAID SO. Against all odds, we went further than we ever expected things to go. Despite her reservations, I held out hope that she would eventually see how great we were together and change her mind. I was blindly, stupidly, blissfully optimistic.

Also, I never once even imagined the possibility that my wife would leave me. Then she did. I have much more to say about The Secret, but I will leave it at that. (This may have to be a separate blog post.)

I appreciate your concern and I know you're trying to help, but The Secret is definitely not for me.

Marisa, I'm really sorry you're having a bad day too. Hugs.

Kristen said...

hey, man, i was just trying to help. i get that 'the secret' seems cheesy, but the bottom line idea of being positive is true. if you walk around feeling sorry for yourself because you don't have enough friends, then you won't have enough friends. (who wants to hang out w/ someone who is always feeling like he doesn't have enough?)

i'm not knocking on your door handing out flyers about jesus. hey, don't even read the book. i'm just saying that what you get from life is what you want from it. if you're always complaining and feeling sorry for yourself "my tennis wasn't great." "my social calendar is empty" "my girlfriend is a lesbian and doesn't love me and is always talking about leaving" that's what you're inviting into your life. and that's exactly where you are...