Friday, December 12, 2008

Holidays

All the divorce blogs agree: the first holiday season after your divorce sucks.

SnarkEx and I used to own a small fake tree. Last year we put it on top of a bookcase. It might still be in the closet in the spare bedroom where we stored all of our Christmas decorations. I don't know how much of that stuff she took and what she left. I haven't checked.

SnarkEx was the one who always initiated the Christmas decor in our home. She came into the relationship with more Christmas stuff than I did. The only thing I brought to the marriage was my "Sphere of Joy," a globe-shaped object made of plastic cups and Christmas lights glued together that my mom and her second husband made for all of us in the mid-90's. When I was single, it was the only thing I would hang up at Christmastime. It didn't survive the marriage-- I threw it out a few years ago. (I did manage to keep my Sphere of Joy longer than any of my siblings, so I should get credit for that.)

There are no reminders of the holiday season in my apartment this year. I have listened to a few of my Christmas CDs, but they haven't put me in a holiday spirit. It's not that I'm making a big effort to avoid Christmas, I'm just not really inspired this year. I don't miss it. It's already the middle of December, Christmas is less than two weeks away, and I keep forgetting about it.

I'll be able to spend Christmas day with my brother's family, so I should be alright there. And I'll be driving to my home state for the SnarkFamily Christmas. It will be nice not having to go down south to celebrate the holidays with SnarkEx's family. Last year it was 60 degrees when her parents picked us up from the airport. That's a ridiculous temperature for Christmas.

I heard from one of my informants that SnarkEx was worried about being lonely on Thanksgiving. Good. She should be lonely. She had a loving and supportive husband and she decided to throw him to the curb for some vague sense of "not getting what [she] needs."

I wonder if she's getting what she "needs" now.

No comments: