Happy End to 2008!
If this wasn't the worst year of my life, it was at least in the top two. The last time I went through something like this was in 1991. Like cicadas, my depressions are on a 17-year cycle. I expect rough times again in 2025.
The good news is that I've bounced back a little from my lowest point on Sunday. It's nothing so dramatic as being saved by an angel trying to earn his wings, but I got a reality check and realized things are never so black and white. I have a gracious family that loves and supports me. I may have my faults and be annoying and obnoxious at times, but I do add value.
The good thing about hitting rock bottom is that it lowers your expectations. Doing things like getting out of bed or shopping for groceries or feeding your cats are accomplishments you can be proud of. And as someone pointed out, depression is easy to treat. It's the easiest mental illness to cure.
After holiday travels it feels good to be home again. There are lots of diversions here that allow me to escape the real world.
Tonight I've been invited to a New Year's Eve party by my friend who works in SnarkEx's office. I met him at one of her office parties a year ago. He and his wife have been a great source of support this past year. They're throwing a party tonight, and although they're inviting a lot of office people, SnarkEx is not on their list. They prefer my company to hers. So I've got that going for me.
I'm looking forward to the party and saying goodbye to the worst year of my life.
Peace At Any Price
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment