Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Party Purpose

For two years now I have been boycotting the b-word. Maybe I'll mention this time of year that my odometer is turning over, or that I've completed another trip around the sun, but I just didn't feel like celebrating being another year older, divorced, and living alone with my two cats.

So I think it's pretty significant that this year I'm throwing myself a birthday party. I'm ready to celebrate my life.

I'm not sure if it was K who put the idea in my head to have a party, or if I mentioned it and she said, "I'll help cook for it!" But I do know I woudn't be having one if it weren't for her. She throws her own parties all the time. She's visiting me that weekend, and my birthday is on a Saturday, so it's perfect timing.

I don't have a great history with throwing parties. But my housewarming party last August was relatively successful, and that has inspired me to try again. I sent off the invitations this weekend and now I'm freaking out. What have I done? Who am I to ask people to celebrate my birthday with me? Will they think my event is stupid? Will some of the lesser-known acquaintances wonder why I'm inviting them? I wonder if I will ever get over the feeling that inviting people to a party is imposing on them. That's a ridiculous attitude to have.

When I was trying to decide who to invite, I had to ask myself a question. What is the purpose of throwing a party? Is it a referendum on my popularity? Is it to have fun? To provide others with a fun time? To show off? I really don't know what my motives are. People throw parties. And I want to be people. So I'm throwing a party.

My biggest fear is that there will only be three people there: Me, K, and some friend of a friend who I invited to increase the numbers. It will be awkward and I'll look like a loser to the one party guest. With that in mind, someone suggested that I only invite people who I would have fun with in that scenario. Only invite people that I could imagine being the third guest. It should be about quality and not quantity.

But I'm not crazy about that idea, because one purpose of this party is to increase my social circle. I want to invite peripheral people who might become better friends. And there's something appealing about mixing up my friends & acquaintances from different places. And let K meet more of the people in my life. Karma dictates that if I want to be invited to parties, I should host one.

Is that enough reasons? Do I even need a reason to justify a party? It's my fucking birthday!

7 comments:

Jolene said...

YAY BIRTHDAYS!! I for one, LOVE my birthday and make any reason possible to celebrate as long as possible, so I love that you are taking the plunge and having a part-ay ;-) Can I come? ;-)

Spencer Park said...

Enjoy it Mr. Snark. I am the same. I would love to hold a birthday party but feel like inviting people is an imposition. Stupid really!

Just out of interest - how old will you be? I am guessing you are a similar age to me but I could be wrong!

snarkbutt said...

Of course you can come! Any of my blogfriends who plan to be in the Midwest on the 25th-- you're invited.

Spencer, I am around your age, but a little older. I'll be 39, so... a teenager three times over. Which is about how I act on this blog.

said...

I always throw my own parties too! I LOVE to entertain. And my birthday is a time of year that no one would throw me a party so I always end up throwing my own too.

Just mingle, baby! Mingle and enjoy the people!

Anonymous said...

Snark,

I used to throw parties, and
lots of guys and gals came.

In one case, one of the women
ended up dancing with a coffee
pot. A VERY successful party.

I ending up marrying one of them!

Invite everybody!

Good luck Snark,

PK

Nicki said...

Man, I wish I was going to be in the Midwest. Wait! Know what makes a party really fun...having it somewhere else! I know, you're thinking McDonald's, but I'm thinking...Charlotte! Yeah! And then I'll definitely be there. :)

I have to admit, I'm seeing a lot of positive changes in you, Snark. Really proud. You're coming into your own. Yay! (And Happy Almost Birthday.)

Big hugs!

Anonymous said...

Ah, to be young and 39 again. Life was so much simpler for me then.

Oh, wait. No it wasn't.

People tend to glamorize their past and lament getting older, but you are exactly where you need to be, and getting better all the time. What's cool is that you are celebrating your life. The fact that you have someone to celebrate it with is that much funner.

Sorry I can't be there, but I hope you have a great time! Happy soon-to-be birthday, Snarky Snark!